Monday, February 23, 2015

The pain of Alzheimer's and Cancer

It has been an icy day with lots of emotions flooding my heart.  It started with me watching Tim McGraw singing Glen Campbell's song, "I'm not gonna miss you," from the Oscars.  The song had just started playing and I started crying, not just a few tears, but sobs.  Michael asked, "Do you just want me to fast forward through this?" I said, "No, I want to hear this."  I had watched the debilitating disease of Alzheimer's steal my mom from me and my family.  Then 2 years later in July of '09 my dad died.  He had cancer but had survived that and lived for 90 years.  It's acceptable to hate when you hate diseases.  These 2 diseases have impacted my family and friends more than I care to count and it hurts.

On Sunday I heard my cousin had passed away on her birthday.  She was 62 years old; that isn't very old.  She leaves behind her husband, 2 sons, a daughter, and several grandchildren.  Her father died from cancer when she was a child and her mother died of cancer over 15 years ago.  Her stepfather had Alzheimer's and passed away in 2013.  Two of my friends lost their aunt to cancer this morning.  A picture on Facebook on Sunday from a teacher friend had me in tears because she is currently watching Alzheimer's take her mom.  The picture was so incredibly touching though.  Her husband had managed to get some recordings of her dad singing 70 years ago on her phone.  Her mom recognized his voice!!  I cry for all of them because I know their pain is devastating.

Memories cannot be taken from us though.  I write to keep some memories closer because I don't want to forget nor do I want the beauty of them to fade.  Writing can be very therapeutic also.  I fully understand that my writing is rather simplistic.  I do it for me though and maybe some words I write will touch you or make you smile or laugh.   I'm planning on writing more so join me on my journey wherever it leads.

                                         
                                        choose joy            
                                                          love more

                                             be kind


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful for you to write. Yes, cancer took my Dad, mother-in-law, father-in-law, aunts, uncles, & friends. Some have died so young, then some have lived long lives. Take care & keep writing!