Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Here's what's cooking.....

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  At my home we enjoyed lunch with my sister, niece and her family, my friend and her family, and my daughter Sarah.  We were able to see Jordan and Kristeen before and after Thanksgiving this year and that was a special treat.  It was the most relaxed Thanksgiving I've ever had.  I had all the  food (except the gravy) ready to be baked or cooked by late Wednesday afternoon.  Juggling oven time is always a little dicey, but it turned out successfully.  Here's what I made with links to the recipes:

Cornbread dressing with sausage
(without mushrooms and apples)

Spiral sliced Ham with brown sugar glaze

Roasted turkey breast
 (did not add pumpkin to the gravy)

This my tried and true mashed potato recipe.  I made them on Wednesday and refrigerated before baking.  After they bake, they are light and fluffy. 

I served this warm and it goes great with ham, too!


Almond joy pie

Chocolate pie
This has a basic recipe and variations for chocolate, coconut, etc.  PERFECT recipe!!  I always top with meringue instead of whipped topping. 

Other foods on menu brought by friends and family:
Macaroni and cheese
Southern sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Strawberry Fluff Fruit salad
Pineapple Mandarin orange fruit salad
Pecan pie

We had way too much food, but it was oh so yummy!  I love Thanksgiving and the time I get to spend with family and friends.  It's also a wonderful time to reflect on all we have to be thankful for.  My family has been blessed beyond measure and I thank God for this. 


We had leftovers for a couple of days and after all that cooking it was wonderful to just reheat in the microwave.  



Fast forward to today and it's a little chilly outside so here's what is cooking for hubby tonight:


I've never made tomato soup before and this is yummy!!

Grilled cheese croutons
I just made regular grilled cheese sandwiches with sharp cheese slices along with some grated sharp and a touch of jalapeno jack slices.  After they are grilled and cooled, I slice them into cubes and bake at 250 degrees until they dry out and crisp up more.

Tossed Salad

I have sampled everything and I'm hoping it will be a hit with hubby. 


No comments: